BuzzTalk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCOE Linux Seminar

4 posters

Go down

Do you agree with me?

SCOE Linux Seminar Vote_lcap57%SCOE Linux Seminar Vote_rcap 57% 
[ 4 ]
SCOE Linux Seminar Vote_lcap14%SCOE Linux Seminar Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
SCOE Linux Seminar Vote_lcap29%SCOE Linux Seminar Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 7

SCOE Linux Seminar Empty SCOE Linux Seminar

Post  loneowais Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:21 am

I was so excited to be there..But the excitement did not last long.

95% audience were new to linux. They expected an easy to digest seminar on introduction to linux.. And you scared them all.

The seminar should have been titled C under Linux or Linux for Programmers.. It had nothing for that newbie wanting to try a new OS.

They failed to create an impression on the Microsoft Slaves. They could not free anyone of them. It was so easy to make them try Linux on their machines but...

Here is what went wrong,

1)> I'm legend

The guy started straight off with commands. He looked as if he was trying to prove his geek element. I know it's much faster with CLI but it gave the Linux=CLI myth a boost.

2)> We all are programmers

If the event was for programmers, why didn't they mention it?.. Students expected a Linux on Desktop demonstration, not a C on Linux one.

3)> Wrong Distro

I love & respect Debian than anyone of the folks present there. But Debian is not at all the right choice for a newbie Linux demo.
They should have used Ubuntu, Linux Mint or PClinuxOS..This would made eyebrows raise.

4)> Wrong Distro Again
Mandriva was again a wrong choice for a first time Linux user. It's to some extent complicated & is not at all recommended for firt time users.
Ubuntu(+codecs), Linux Mint, PclinuxOS would have been best.. Mandriva didn't even have the LiveCd mode.

5)> Ease of Use

They should have demonstrated how easy it is to use Linux. eg, Manging music with Amarok, Installing packages with Synaptic or ark, Using Bluetooth, wireless & other networking stuff...All this should have been shown in GUI.

Please choose a right Title foe next seminar

Last edited by loneowais on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
loneowais
loneowais

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://whatsupscoe.co.cc

Back to top Go down

SCOE Linux Seminar Empty yup

Post  aniket Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:54 am

Yup, i wasn't ther rabbit but i heard it wasn't much upto the level.
aniket
aniket

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

SCOE Linux Seminar Empty Linux to Microsoft? A lightning bolt in a clear blue sky

Post  Quicksilver Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:06 pm

loneowais wrote:.. And you scared them all...the Microsoft Slaves...

Before I even start, I would like to say this "I think you are even more passionate about Microsoft than Linux, because you manage to include it (agreed: in negaitive) in every post of yours."

Firstly - We were not the ones that held the seminar and so we are not responsible for "scaring people".

Second - "Microsoft Slaves!!!?" - You seem to have a personal grudge against microsoft, I must make it clear that I am not trying to defend Microsoft but am short of reasons for your Vendetta againt Microsoft. Did they personally wrong you in some way? Did they send you hate mail when you switched to Linux or did they send you to a torture cell for it? If not then you cannot call the rest of the world as "Microsoft Slaves". Microsoft does not force you to remain loyal to it. An the "cheap" tricks you say the software giant plays are the same ones that all companies, manufacturers, retail marts, even your local bhajiwala plays - like offering you freebies/incentives to remain their customer. If people actually fall into it (call it the "Microsoft Trap" if you want to) then it knows the consumer much better than any other company.

On an ending note: "Learn to respect your enemies."
Quicksilver
Quicksilver

Number of posts : 36
Branch : Computer Engineering
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

SCOE Linux Seminar Empty Re: SCOE Linux Seminar

Post  loneowais Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:36 am

They force me & millions other to use their software... Why do i always get windows with new PC's...Why can't I choose from a list of OS'....I know this is changing but it's not the onl reason I hate them so much..Will post soon..Am short of time right now
loneowais
loneowais

Back to top Go down

Post  Quicksilver Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:07 pm

You get Windows with all new PCs because it is the software still preferred by millions; also since most hardware manufacturing compaines sign the EULA with Microsoft for their OS. The reason why you can't choose from a list of OSes is because the shopkeeper is a: Either plain stupid b: Smart eneough not to take up an additional task of loading OSes according to the everchanging whims of the customer.

loneowais wrote:They force me & millions other to use their software... Why do i always get windows with new PC's...Why can't I choose from a list of OS'....I know this is changing but it's not the onl reason I hate them so much..Will post soon..Am short of time right now
Quicksilver
Quicksilver

Number of posts : 36
Branch : Computer Engineering
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post  aniket Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:29 am

You don't get Microsoft with every PC. U are offered freedos too. If you buy a mac, you are offered leopard. But not any edition of linux. The reason is simple. Complete compatibility. Linux is preferred by developers. But if you take as in a general public, Windows is still the far better OS. And as far as the list of OS is concerned, i think mostly all others are open source an you can easily get one.
aniket
aniket

Back to top Go down

Post  loneowais Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:43 pm

They paid Compaq millions for not shipping Netscape with their systems. They paid Sun millions for not shipping Linux on their Servers, and recently they paid HP to make drivers unavailable for XP.
loneowais
loneowais

Back to top Go down

Post  saurabh saxena Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:11 am

Being the organiser of the linux seminar,i just wanna say that it was not our mistake that u didnt get the seminar.look i am not here to differentiate between the microsoft users and the linux users but it was just a knowledge sharing seminar,i agree that the speaker was not able to get the interest of the crowd but it is not like that he gave a crap.i didnt attend the full seminar but the little i attended i was sure that the speaker was not new to the subject.one thing more organising a linux seminar does not mean that we are against microsoft or any other OS.I also use windows but at the same time i dont have anything against leopard(mac).see we campaigned this seminar by saying that "if u have interest then u can go for the seminar".not any point we said that we are going to teach the linux from the scratch and u being the devotee of linux must be knowing that linux is not something which can be taught in a span of three hours.
saurabh saxena
saurabh saxena

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post  aniket Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:18 am

loneowais wrote:They paid Compaq millions for not shipping Netscape with their systems. They paid Sun millions for not shipping Linux on their Servers, and recently they paid HP to make drivers unavailable for XP.

Netscape i guess is a browser, whose support is closed now. And you can obviously download it from net if not shipped with your PC/laptop. Sun should ship SOLARIS first. And you order OS of your choice in your organization. Drivers of XP are available at all vendor websites. But ya they'll be taken off in future for the next OS to come up.
aniket
aniket

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down